“Peddlers/solicitors” by definition include:
- All persons, both principals and agents, who, without prior invitation from the occupant, go from place to place, or house to house, carrying for sale, exposing for sale, or offering for sale goods, wares, merchandise, or services of any type, for present or future delivery.
- All persons, both principals and agents, seeking to obtain gifts, donations or contributions of money, clothing, or other valuable thing.
- All persons, both principals and agents, engaging in activity for which registration is required under Chapter 19.09 RCW, Charitable Solicitations (whether registered with the Secretary of State or not).
To “peddle/solicit” means to engage in such actions. Peddling/soliciting does not include place to place religious or political activity, advocacy, promotion, or distribution of such materials.
A peddler/solicitor license is required under the Gig Harbor Municipal Code Chapter 5.21. Each peddler/solicitor must complete an application for peddler/solicitor license. Applicants must allow five business days after application is received for the purpose of investigating the applicant. A charge of $50 is required for the purpose of defraying the investigation and administrative costs.
Two passport photos of the applicant must be included with the application for issuance of an identification badge. All peddlers/solicitors are required to display this badge on their outer clothing when engaged in peddling/soliciting activities. Each individual applicant must have an approved peddler/solicitor license prior to operating within the City of Gig Harbor. License expires 90 days from issuance.
Below is a list of exceptions to the requirement to obtain a license:
- Peddling of local newspapers.
- Peddling of fruits, vegetables, berries, butter, eggs, fish, milk, poultry, meats, or any farm produce or edibles raised, caught, produced, or manufactured by such person.
- When that person, after having been specifically requested by another to do so, calls upon that other person for the purpose of displaying goods or literature about any article, thing, or product.
- When that person is acting in his or her capacity as a member of a charitable organization under Chapter 19.09 RCW (whether registered with the secretary of state or not), political organization, religious organization, or federal, state, or local governmental agency or entity.
Peddlers/solicitors shall not approach any home, residence, apartment complex, or business that prominently displays a “No Peddlers” or “No Solicitors” sign or “No Trespassing” sign or any other similar sign that communicates the occupants’ desire to not be contacted by peddlers.
Peddlers/solicitors shall not engage in the business of peddling/soliciting before 9:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.